Impressions and testing of the V3.0 Livemap

Configuration
  • Ability to remove steam IDs from Game master (minor issue, i just got around it by disabling the permission group and making 2 new ones)
  • While drawing the areas on the map (where you're placing the perimeter for the area) remove the ability to click on other pre-established areas (minor, just got in the way while making new areas that were close by)
  • While placing POIs do the same as above, when trying to place the POI inside of an area you’d get the pop up to delete the area (minor, just had to dismiss it and was able to continue placing it)
Appearance
  • As a personal preference thing, id remove the box background to the claim labels and revert to how they are in the v2.7 map. The reason why is because I get a sense of detail overload, where it looks like there's too much going on, where as before i didnt
  • Ability to choose if tooltips show up by default, whenever my mouse cursor isn't on a claim, its on an area and the area tooltip is constantly showing. Maybe not even remove it completely, but have it fade out after ~2-3 seconds, so the player knows it's there and can click it, but so it isn't in the way when looking at the map
  • Maybe have the tooltips fade in as well, when I move my mouse around on the map it's a bit odd having tooltips pop up across the map everywhere (ill link my map at the end of this log)
  • Ability to rotate POI icons, this is a minor thing and mostly relates to bridges but if not a rotate function then one that goes North to South in addition to the current icon that goes East to West (for the bridge icon only, the other icons dont need it)
Comments
This is just my first impression of the livemap, i just loaded it up about 30 minutes ago and configured it to my liking. I will continue to update this post as i use it over the next few weeks. Overall great work Nyuton, and thanks for adding the steam admin login functionality.
Link to my livemap
https://beta.livemap.feudal.tools/index ... ap_id=5039
Henri / CaptZimecki
Server Owner | Seraphim Isles

Re: Impressions and testing of the V3.0 Livemap

Livemap configuration is only available if you login with the password, maybe have the permission be able to be granted within the permission groups? Basically, if I want to change anything on the configuration side of things I have to log out of my steam and then login into the livemap with the regular password, again minor inconvenience but though I should point it out.
Henri / CaptZimecki
Server Owner | Seraphim Isles

Re: Impressions and testing of the V3.0 Livemap

Hi,
thank you for testing and the impressions. There are some really good points there.
Ability to remove steam IDs from Game master (minor issue, i just got around it by disabling the permission group and making 2 new ones)
You would have to do that through Character & Account management and remove 'permanent gm' flag for these accounts. The livemap GM group is tied to accounts that have IsGM column set to 1 in the `accounts` table as explained here.

While drawing the areas on the map (where you're placing the perimeter for the area) remove the ability to click on other pre-established areas (minor, just got in the way while making new areas that were close by)
While placing POIs do the same as above, when trying to place the POI inside of an area you’d get the pop up to delete the area (minor, just had to dismiss it and was able to continue placing it)
I'll queue this fix for 3.0.2

As a personal preference thing, id remove the box background to the claim labels and revert to how they are in the v2.7 map. The reason why is because I get a sense of detail overload, where it looks like there's too much going on, where as before i didnt
I liked the old way better too, but I had to do this for technical reasons. However we may be able to work around the issue. I could imagine moving the claim labels to a separate, toggleable layer. Or we could hide the labels depending on zoom level. i.e. start displaying labels for 2x zoom level and higher, and hide them with the 0.5x and 1x zoom level.

Ability to choose if tooltips show up by default, whenever my mouse cursor isn't on a claim, its on an area and the area tooltip is constantly showing. Maybe not even remove it completely, but have it fade out after ~2-3 seconds, so the player knows it's there and can click it, but so it isn't in the way when looking at the map
Maybe have the tooltips fade in as well, when I move my mouse around on the map it's a bit odd having tooltips pop up across the map everywhere (ill link my map at the end of this log)
I see that the tooltips for the custom zones are a problem if you have the whole map covered with them. I'll try to find a better solution for this.

Ability to rotate POI icons, this is a minor thing and mostly relates to bridges but if not a rotate function then one that goes North to South in addition to the current icon that goes East to West (for the bridge icon only, the other icons dont need it)
I cannot make them rotatable but for sure I can add a vertical bridge icon; no problem.

When clicking on a claim, is there still supposed to be a green dot next to the names of the people who are online?
Ooops, good catch. There is still a placeholder instead of the online indicator. Will fix this in 3.0.2

Livemap configuration is only available if you login with the password ...
Yes, configuration is only available for the owner/admin and there is no Steam Auth. for the admin yet. I'll see if I can add this with 3.1. Added to planned features.

Thanks again. This kind of feedback helps alot in improving the Livemap and its UI.