Refresh scripts need ability to protect paved roads

Whenever we do a refresh we spend an entire day or more coordinating it for our server. All because one major feature is missing from the refresh scripts. The ability to protect paved roads on the map. Ironic since the live map has the feature to show paved roads (scratches head). We're forced to create literally dozens of monuments across several steam accounts to facilitate a refresh generally on a monthly basis. It's a beastly burden.

We'd like the ability to guide the criteria of road selection in the refresh script in a manner as follows:
  • Specify road width over distance, eg 4 tiles across consistently over the distance of 12 tiles or other number.
  • Specify road material, eg. Paved Rock.
This should suffice in capturing obvious roads built on the map. If this is possible, we'd love to see it in an update to the refresh scripts. Would literally save us days of headache. Thank you!

Re: Refresh scripts need ability to protect paved roads

Hi,
I understand that request and you're not the first one to ask, but it's literally impossible.
The general purpose of the refresh script, at least for most people, is clearing the terrain from abadonded claims. Those often have wide areas of paved tiles, sometimes small road blocks connecting different areas, and so on. Also, you probably don't want to keep roads leading to abadonded claims.... Therefore, unfortunately, there is no way to reliably tell which paved tiles belong to a road with an actual purpose and which tiles can be cleared within a script with reasonable computing time.

However, there's a workaround. You can use admin_lands to protect roads. Check out the admin_lands table in your database. You can add records to it which will create rectangle areas, just like for personal claims... GeoID2 being the north-western tile and GeoID1 being the south-eastern tile of the rectangle. With that, you can protect certain rectangles on the map from the refresh.

I might have a visual interface to create/draw admin lands on the map in the future. It's not such a big deal actually.

* edited post. GeoID1 / GeoID2 positions were interchanged

However, there's a workaround. You can use admin_lands to protect roads. Check out the admin_lands table in your database. You can add records to it which will create rectangle areas, just like for personal claims... GeoID1 being the north-western tile and GeoID2 being the south-eastern tile of the rectangle. With that, you can protect certain rectangles on the map from the refresh.

I might have a visual interface to create/draw admin lands on the map in the future. It's not such a big deal actually.
The ability to draw/create admin lands on the map would be amazing. I'm trying to get it working in my DB and it's frustrating the hell out of me. I think i'm doing something wrong but i dont know what lol

What about adding a create adminland function in the terrain editor?

I know for the bridges when you make them, you can choose to have them be protected

Maybe have a function where you select 2 tiles and can create an adminland between those geoids in the terrain editor. I already use the terrain editor to get the geoids cause its a lot easier to copy/paste and read than the ingame option.
Henri / CaptZimecki
Server Owner | Seraphim Isles